Globus file transfer
Globus is a non-profit service for secure, reliable research data management and transfer. Transferring files via Globus is quick and is not affected by network glitches that may corrupt the transferred file. All of our files on this page can be downloaded from Globus and this is the preferred method for file transfer if you want to download more than one file, as it is far quicker for the user. Help on using Globus and how to retrieve our files via the resource can be found in our Globus help page.
If you know about Globus and you have used this resource before, a link to our collection to use with the File Manager can be found below:
For more information about Globus and to watch a video about the data management tool, please visit the What We Do page at Globus.org
Semantic web downloads
- What is a Web Ontology Language (OWL)?
- The W3C Web Ontology Language (OWL) is a Semantic Web language designed to represent rich and complex knowledge about things, groups of things, and relations between things. OWL is a computational logic-based language such that knowledge expressed in OWL can be exploited by computer programs, e.g., to verify the consistency of that knowledge or to make implicit knowledge explicit. OWL documents, known as ontologies, can be published in the World Wide Web and may refer to or be referred from other OWL ontologies.
- Where can I find an OWL file for the HGNC?
- Our friends at SciBite have created an OWL file for us. You can find the file at https://ftp.ebi.ac.uk/pub/databases/genenames/hgnc/owl/hgnc.owl.
- How do I search/download HGNC datas using the semantic web?
- You need to either download or use the URL of our hgnc.owl file and loading the file or providing the URL to the file into a tool such as Stanford University's Protégé. To learn how to use Protégé check out their short training course.
Complete dataset download links
Archived complete HGNC datasets
The HGNC now archive the complete HGNC dataset and withdrawn files (both tab separated and JSON formats) each month and each quarter. You may find these files in the archive section of our FTP site. View our HGNC complete set archive page for more information about the files and the archive itself.
Help & information
A comprehensive list of all the columns contained within the download files, can be found in the Statistics & downloads help page.
- Click on the icon to download the fields as a tab delimited text file. Columns the contain multiple values will be double quoted and the values within delimited by a pipe (i.e |).
- Click on the icon to download as a json file.
- Click on the icon to use the Custom Downloads page to select which fields are in the download
- Fields found within the and files can be found within the Statistics & downloads help page.
Data release policy
No restrictions are imposed on access to, or use of, the data provided by the HGNC, which are provided to enhance knowledge and encourage progress in the scientific community. The HGNC provides these data in good faith, but make no warranty, express or implied, nor assume any legal liability or responsibility for any purpose for which they are used.