Due to the new version of HCOP we have frozen the data in the archived version of HCOP as it stood on December 1st 2014. We will remove this page from this website at the end of February 2015. Please contact us if this is likely to cause problems for you.
HCOP:HGNC Comparison of Orthology Predictions
- 'Return data as text' returns the results as a tab delimited text file. The layout of this table is subject to change as a result of user feedback and new fields being added to HCOP.
- The 'Reciprocal Search' option displayed in the results for each orthology prediction search enables users to run the reverse species-to-species search. The search uses the NCBI Entrez Gene ID for the returned ortholog, i.e. a human to mouse search with ABCA1 hits mouse Gene ID 11303, so the reciprocal search would be for mouse to human with Gene ID 11303. Sometimes a one-to-one relation between human and mouse is a one-to-many relation from mouse to human
- HCOP supports wild cards. Use _ to substitue for a single character and * or % to substitue for ) or more characters. For example ABCA* fetches all ABCA genes, ABCA_ fetches ABCA1 to ABCA9. It is not advisable to start a query with a wildcard as the database will not be able to use its indexes and the search will be slow.
- If provided with a list of terms (either comma, space or newline delimited), HCOP searches with each term in turn e.g. ABCA1 ABCA2 ABCA3. A file containing the list can be uploaded using the "upload a file" search.
- HCOP supports searching approved gene names. Select the 'Approved Gene name that contains' option and enter the search string (this option takes longer than symbol or ID based searches). This option supports wild cards, thus a search for ATP*cardiac would bring up all names containing ATP followed at some point by cardiac (i.e. ATPAse, Ca++ transporting, cardiac muscle, fast twitch 1 and ATP synthase, H+ transporting, mitochondrial F1 complex, alpha subunit, isoform 1, cardiac muscle, etc).
- Note: Since approved names can contain commas and spaces this option only accepts newline delimited lists, i.e. a list of names one per line. This list can be copy/pasted to the search form or uploaded as a file.
(1) There is currently no Horse, Cow, Chimp, Macaque, Opossum, Platypus. or Dog Gene Nomenclature Committee. These symbols and names are derived from NCBI data